Instructions to Property Owner Applying for a
Short-Term Rental (STR) License in the Town of Blue River
(1) Property Owners must complete a 2021 Short-Term Rental License Application available on the Town website or by contacting the Town Manager at email@example.com. The Short-Term Rental Application is required by Sec. 6-1-70 of the Blue River Municipal Code. Completed applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Applications: $200.00
(2) The applicant is required to submit the following items with the completed application:
(a) Documentation of a sales tax license from the Colorado Department of Revenue. Sec. 6-1-70(a)(5), Blue River Municipal Code.
(b) A completed Self-Inspection/Compliance form. Sec. 6-1-70(a)(6), Blue River Municipal Code.
(c) Payment of an application fee in the amount of $200.00 for a new license. Sec. 6-1-70(a)(3), Blue River Municipal Code. Property owners requesting a renewal license are required by submit a $150.00 fee. Sec. 6-1-100(c), Blue River Municipal Code.
(3) Completed applications with the required documentation may be emailed to email@example.com. Application fee payments may be made online at: https://townofblueriver.colorado.gov/pay-online and select Short-term Rental Registration. Payment may also be mailed to: Town of Blue River, PO Box 1784, Breckenridge, CO 80424.
(3) All new license applications will be reviewed by the Town Manager and will be approved, conditionally approved, or rejected within thirty (30) days of receipt of a completed application. The Town Manager may impose written conditions of the issuance of a license. Sec. 6-1-80, Blue River Municipal Code.
(4) All licenses will expire on December 31 of the year in which the license was issued or on December 31 of the following year if the license is issued after October 1.
(5) Property Owners are required to pay taxes on the short-term rentals. Sec. 6-1-110(f), Blue River Municipal Code. All rentals of short-term accommodations are subject to State, Summit County, and Town of Blue River sales tax, as well as the Town of Blue River lodging tax. The total tax to be collected is 12.275% of the rental fee. When listing with a hosting platform, verify the address is BLUE RIVER.
(a) To be remitted to the State of Colorado: 8.875%. [Blue River Sales Tax: 2.5%; 2.9% State sales tax, 2.0% Summit County sales tax, 0.75% County mass transit tax (Summit Stage), 0.725% Special District sales tax (Summit Housing Authority)].
(b) To be remitted directly to the Town of Blue River: 3.4%. NOTE: Hosting platforms do not collect or remit the 3.4% Lodging Tax to the Town of Blue River. You must remit the Lodging Tax to the Town. It is your responsibility to confirm that the hosting platform remits the sales/state taxes. Please visit our website to submit rental tax information at: https://townofblueriver.colorado.gov/lodging/short-term-rental
(6) Advertisements of short-term rentals are required to include: (1) reference to the Town-issued license number; (2) the maximum occupancy limitation imposed for the STR; and (3) the maximum off-street parking limitation imposed for the STR. Sec. 6-1-110(c), Blue River Municipal Code.
(7) STR Property owners are required to post a written notice of requirements on the interior side of the primary entry door of the property and also prominently placed on the counter of the dwelling unit’s primary kitchen counter. Sec. 6-1-110(e), Blue River Municipal Code. The Town will provide the poster.
(8) If any information changes on the STR application, property owners must notify Michelle Eddy within ten (10) days of the change. Sec. 6-1-110(h), Blue River Municipal Code.
(8) Property Owners are required to read all the requirements applicable to STRs in the Town of Blue River Short-Term Rental Ordinance 2020-15.
- For questions, contact Michelle Eddy at (970) 547-0545 ext. 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org
There are two options to remit payment for your short-term rental registration and taxes.
To apply for a Short Term Rental License, please download and fill out the registration packet below. You may email it to email@example.com or mail it in with your payment.
1. Utilize the Pay Online tab. Select either Registration (new or renewal).
2. You may mail in payment to Town of Blue River, PO Box 1784, Breckenridge, CO 80424.
If you are mailing in anew registration, please include your registration packet with payment. You may also email your packet to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A total of 12.275% must be collected on ALL short term rentals. 8.875% must me remitted to the State of Colorado. If you are using Airbnb, VRBO or Homeaway, please check your statements to ensure that your home is listed for BLUE RIVER and that they are remitting 8.875%. Any tax not remitted is the homeowners responsibility.
The remaining 3.4% shall be remitted directly to the Town of Blue River. Airbnb, VRBO, and Homeaway are NOT collecting and remitting this amount. To remit your Lodging Taxes:
1. You may utilize the form below and then select the Pay Online tab and Lodging Taxes.
2. You may mail your payment to: Town of Blue River, PO Box 1784, Breckenridge, CO 80424. Please include your Blue River Short Term Rental License Number with payment. We do not issue coupon booklets and recommend submitting the online form even if you are mailing in payment.