Visitors to Quandary Peak and McCullough Gulch Trail Areas will be Required to Reserve Parking Online or Use the Free Shuttle from Breckenridge
Contacts: Nicole Valentine, Director of Communications, Summit County Government
Summit County, in collaboration with its partners, adopted a pilot parking reservation and shuttle program in 2021 to help address public safety issues in the area. The second iteration of the pilot program will begin June 1, 2022. The 2022 program requires a parking reservation or a shuttle ride to access Quandary Peak and McCullough Gulch.
Please sign up for notifications at the bottom of the page to receive pilot program alerts and updates.
Questions about parking reservations and shuttle rides? Call Park Quandary at 833-992-7325 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about the program? Call Summit County Open Space & Trails at 970-668-4060, or email at email@example.com.
CLICK HERE for an interactive map of the area.
Significant increases in visitation at Quandary Peak and McCullough Gulch over the past several years have led to numerous public safety issues. Illegally parked vehicles block emergency access on roadways and limit residents' ability to access or feel safe in their own neighborhood. The new parking reservation system and shuttle service alleviates these pressures and makes it easier for hikers to safely and legally access the trailheads. (Who enjoys waking up at 2am just to find a parking space, anyways?)
The second year of the pilot program begins June 1, 2022 and ends September 30, 2022. During this time period, visitors will be required to make a parking reservation OR take a shuttle from Breckenridge to access Quandary Peak or McCullough Gulch.
Parking at the Quandary Peak Trailhead is free and first-come, first-served before June 1 and after September 30. There is absolutely no parking on County Roads (i.e., Blue Lakes Road and McCullough Gulch Road) at any time, regardless of the time of year. Illegal parking is enforced.
Parking reservations can be made June 1 - September 30. Visitors will be able to make reservations starting late May.
Shuttles can be taken June 15 - September 18. Visitors can purchase shuttle tickets starting June 1.
How to Make a Parking Reservation
Make a parking reservation at parkquandary.com Visitors can choose between full-day and short-term reservations. Reservations can only be made two weeks in advance of your intended hiking date. Visitors will be able to make reservations starting late May.
- Full-Day Reservation (5am-3pm) - recommended for Quandary
- $25 Monday - Thursday (excluding holidays)
- $50 Friday - Sunday (plus holidays)
- 3.5 Hour Reservation - recommended for McCullough Gulch
- $5 Monday - Thursday (excluding holidays)
- $20 Friday - Sunday (plus holidays)
Parking is free and first-come, first-serve after 3pm. Visitors hiking Quandary are STRONGLY encouraged to start their hikes early in the morning to avoid dangerous afternoon thunderstorms. The average time to hike Quandary is 6 hours. The average time to hike McCullough Gulch is 2 hours.
How to Ride the Shuttle
Reserve a ticket to ride the shuttle at parkquandary.com. Visitors must choose a date to ride the shuttle, but do not need to reserve a time. Boarding is first-come, first-serve, with proof of payment. The shuttle runs 7 days a week, 5am-5pm, between the Breckenridge South Gondola Parking Structure and Quandary Peak. Visitors going to McCullough Gulch will take the same shuttle as hikers going to Quandary Peak, and then board a second shuttle at the Quandary Peak Trailhead, to McCullough Gulch.
- $5 for residents (round trip) - proof of residence can be submitted at parkquandary.com
- $15 for visitors (round trip)
Visitors are required to show proof of payment to board the shuttle. Dogs are allowed on the shuttle, however, we STRONGLY encourage you to make a parking reservation if you plan to hike with your dog.
Tell us your thoughts!
To help us improve future transportation and parking strategies at Quandary Peak and McCullough Gulch, we encourage you to take the visitor satisfaction survey and provide us with feedback about your experience with the pilot program.
If you reserved a parking spot and would like to comment on the parking system, please click here for the parking reservation satisfaction survey.
If you rode the shuttle and would like to comment on the shuttle system, please click here for the shuttle system satisfaction survey.
2022 Pilot Program Summary
2022 Pilot Program Summary
- Operates June 15 – September 18.
- Shuttle runs seven days a week from 5:00am to 5:00pm.
- Last shuttle back to Breckenridge will board at 4:30pm.
- Pickup/drop off will occur at the Breckenridge South Gondola Parking Structure.
- It is $15 to park in the garage all day.
- Passengers are encouraged to walk, bike, or take the Town bus for a free option.
- Shuttles will operate on a first come, first serve basis. Passengers simply need to book the appropriate date and can board at any time on that date.
- Round trip shuttle fares: $15 non-local, $5 local.
- Locals must create an account a minimum of 48 hours in advance to receive a discount code that can be applied during payment.
- Proof of Residence will be required to receive the discounted local’s rate. Acceptable documentation includes, but is not limited to, a Driver’s License, Utility Bill, or Lease Agreement with the customer’s name and a Summit County address.
- The McCullough Gulch shuttle service will be included with the purchase of a parking reservation or shuttle payment. Shuttle drivers will not be required to check proof of payment for the McCullough Gulch Trailhead shuttle service.
- Passengers can pay for a one-way ticket from Quandary Peak Trailhead to the Breckenridge Parking Structure via an onsite kiosk for the same price as the roundtrip ticket: $15 non-local, $5 local.
- Passengers will be required to show payment confirmation to be able to board the shuttle at the Parking Structure and the Quandary Peak Trailhead. Users will be directed to save a local copy or print their confirmation as proof of payment at the Quandary Peak Trailhead.
- Shuttle tickets can be purchased up to two weeks in advance, starting June 1.
- Dogs can ride the shuttle free of charge.
- Summit Express is the shuttle operator and will not be involved in the payment/reservation system, per their agreement with Summit County.
- Interstate Parking will oversee and manage the payment/reservation system for the shuttle, per their amended agreement with the Town of Breckenridge.
Quandary Peak Trailhead Parking
- Parking reservations are required from June 1 to September 30.
- There are two parking reservation options: full day and short-term.
- Full day
- 5:00am – 3:00pm
- $25 non-peak (Monday-Thursday, excluding Holidays), $50 peak (Friday-Sunday, plus Holidays).
- Peak Holidays include Juneteenth (June 20), July 4th, and Labor Day (September 5).
- Full day reservations are encouraged for Quandary hikers, as the average hike time is 6 hours.
- 3.5 hour time slots
- $5 non-peak (Monday-Thursday), $20 peak (Friday-Sunday).
- Short-term reservations are encouraged for McCullough Gulch hikers.
- Full day
- Parking reservations can be made up to two weeks in advance, starting May 18
- Parking after 3:00pm will be free and first-come, first-served.
- Parking tickets are $100 both in the Quandary parking lot and along McCullough Gulch and Blue Lakes Road.
- Overnight parking is not allowed (12:00am – 4:00am).
- Interstate Parking will oversee and manage the payment and reservation system for parking at the Quandary Peak Trailhead lot.