Recreational Fires (Campfire):
If you are looking for a permit application for a recreational fire please visit https://www.communityconnect.io/info/co-breckenridge
Recreational Fire. Outdoor recreational fires on private property shall be allowed under the following conditions:
- A VALID PERMIT HAS BEEN ISSUED.
- The fire shall be contained to:
- Permanent outdoor fireplace or fire ring, with a screen, to reduce the spread of embers.
- Portable outdoor fireplace that is assembled, located, and operated in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. It shall have a screen to reduce the spread of embers.
- A commercially designed chiminea, with a screen, to reduce the spread of embers.
- The area directly underneath the fireplace or chiminea shall be barren of flammable and combustible materials.
- The fireplace or chiminea shall be located at least 15 feet (4.572 m) from any flammable and combustible materials and/or structure.
- The fire shall be contained within an approved fireplace or fire ring. The fire has a total fuel area of 3 feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (1.2192 m) or less in height. And, the fire shall utilize a non-toxic fuel source such as wood or charcoal.
- Recreational fires are not allowed when the fire danger is HIGH, VERY HIGH, or EXTREME, during Red Flag Warning or Fire Weather Advisory, or when there are fire restrictions in place by the State, County, or Town.
- Fires built within designated dispersed camping sites or picnic areas contained within a permanent metal fire ring as long as the fire has a total fuel area of 3 feet (0.9144 m) or less in diameter and 2 feet (1.2192 m) or less in height and utilizes a wood or charcoal fuel.
- Fires contained within a fireplace, stove, wood burning stove, or pellet stove designed for and located within a fully enclosed permanent structure.
Fire Prevention Measures. Individuals operating a recreational fire in compliance with the above shall provide the following safety equipment to prevent the spread of the fire:
- The fire shall be constantly attended by a responsible adult.
- The fire shall be extinguished and cool to the touch prior to leaving the site unattended.
- One of the following shall be available for immediate utilization:
- A portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 2A-10B:C rating.
- A 5 gallon container filled with water.
- A charged garden hose available for immediate utilization.
BON FIRES ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE FIRE DISTRICT WITHOUT A SPECIAL PERMIT APPLICATION.
316 N. Main Street • Post Office Box 710 • Breckenridge, CO 80424 970-453-2474 • Fax 970-453-1350 • www.rwbfire.org
Residents of the Red, White & Blue Fire Protection District (everything south of Farmer's Korner, including Breckenridge and Blue River) may apply for a permit at https://www.communityconnect.io/info/co-breckenridge